In Olofsfors 'watchmaking and craft premises, you will find the Swedish Watchmakers' Association's watchmaking museum. The museum is open at the same times as Olofsfors watchmaking and handicrafts.
About the museum
The Swedish Watchmakers' Association's Watchmaking Museum in Olofsfors is an old Museum that was established on December 10, 1903 "The Swedish Watch Museum in Stockholm", at the invitation of John G. Lindroth and Joh. Lundbom. Ownership passed in 1924 to the Swedish Watchmakers' Association.
A museum was built in Stefanskolan in Borensberg, but was packed up when the upper secondary school there was closed in 1999. In 2000, the Swedish Watchmakers' Association bought Stefanskolan's premises to teach watchmaking.
For a few years, parts of the museum were built in Vadstena, but were taken down and stored until 2009 when it began to be built on the school's premises. Parts of the museum have also been deposited at the Technical Museum in Stockholm, but have been returned.
With the help of the association and Östergötlands Urmakare och Optikerförening as well as De Gamla Urens Vänner in Östergyllen as sponsors and non-profit work, the museum was reopened on 29 May 2010
In 2012, some companies in the industry took over the watchmaker training and moved it to Motala. Since then, the collections have only been able to be displayed very sparingly.
In 2017, the association sold the premises in Borensberg and the museum objects were moved to the current premises in Olofsfors.
On 18 March 2018, the Swedish Watchmakers 'Association's Watchmaking Museum was reopened to the public, at Olofsfors mill in Olofsfors' watchmaking and craft premises.